Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Welcome to my new old blog

I am not new to blogging.  I was a blogger during what I consider the golden age of blogging:  roughly the first decade of this century.  To see other blogs that I have done before, which still mostly exist except I'm sure for some broken links to other blogs which have disappeared, see: Blogonomicon, Hymnomicon, The Briar Files, The Last Ancient House, and The Hunter Chronicles.

I also tried out Tumblr for a while but I didn't like how it seemed to be focused only on itself and not on anything that comes from other platforms.  It was a music blog called Eat the Music, but I deleted it, and there wasn't much there anyway.

I eventually stopped updating my previous blogs mostly because I just got tired of keeping up with it, constantly reading the news for things to talk about, and just sheer blogger exhaustion.  And I wasn't even one of the famous ones.

Anyway, with this blog I hope to continue on with blogging about my love for music.  I am a ukulele strummer and singer and although I'm not good enough to be noticed, I do enjoy myself enormously.  There will probably be a lot of ukulele-related content on this blog because that is my instrument, but there could be anything here about music that interests, amazes, or amuses me.  I also play around with the melodica, the recorder, and the Seagull Merlin.  Barry Maz has said more than once that there should be more ukulele blogs, so here's one.

I know everyone is looking for reviews.  I recommend going to Got a Ukulele for reviews, because Mr. Maz is very good at that.  I have attempted reviews myself, and I can honestly say that I am not good at that.  But I will offer my comments on the limited number of ukes that I own.

I am quite active at a Ukulele Underground sub-forum called Seasons of the Ukulele.  I encourage anyone who plays the uke to come and check it out and see if it looks like fun.  Every week there is a new volunteer host who posts a theme for that week, and we all record songs according to that theme.  I have been having a lot of fun there, having joined in December of 2014.  Related to this, most of the recordings I will likely post will be YouTube videos.  I also plan to talk about various podcasts that I listen to.

I will put up a blogroll soon.  If you have a ukulele blog, let me know and I'll add you.  I'll probably also add a link list to sites that are not blogs.

I did move some of my old Tumblr posts over to this blog and have saved them as drafts.  I will probably post them, as well as some stuff from the Hymnomicon to this blog.

My musical listening interests vary widely, however as for my own performances, I usually stick to what I know best and can get away with faking, which will be heavily tilted toward country (older country, not the modern cowpop stuff), cowboy songs and gospel songs.

Thanks for visiting and y'all come back now!

No comments:

Post a Comment