Saturday, April 1, 2017

Nursing home set list 04/01/2017

We had a good time today with eight people in the band.  Carrol (lead electric guitar), JoDee (acoustic guitar, vocals), Otis (acoustic guitar, vocals), Don (electric bass), Mac (fiddle), Dusty (keyboards), Bubba (electric guitar, vocals), and myself (vocals and today tenor banjolele).  I took both my banjolele and a conventional tenor uke but played the banjo uke for everything.  We played for about 2 1/2 hours.  When Bubba is there, he always opens and closes the gig with the same songs.

Pick Me Up On Your Way Down (Bubba)
Peel Me a Nanner (me)
All of Me (JoDee)
Westphalia Waltz (Mac, instrumental)
Branded Man (Bubba)
Bury Me Under the Weeping Willow (me)
You're Still On My Mind (JoDee)
Double Eagle (Carrol, instrumental)
Unclouded Day (Otis)
Darling Nellie Gray (Mac, instrumental)
Your Cheatin' Heart (Bubba)
The Old Country Church (me)
You Don't Have To Be a Baby To Cry (JoDee)
Harbor Lights (Carrol, instrumental)
Truck Drivin' Man (Otis)
Fraulein (Mac, instrumental)
I'll Fly Away (me)
Waltz Across Texas (Bubba)
I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter (JoDee)
Right Or Wrong (Carrol, instrumental)
Just a Closer Walk With Thee (Otis)
San Antonio Rose (Mac, instrumental)
City Lights (Bubba)
Build Me a Cabin in Gloryland (me)
My Darling Clementine (JoDee)
Down Yonder (Carrol, instrumental)
I'll See You in the Morning (Otis)
Bonaparte's Retreat (Mac, instrumental)
Silver Wings (Bubba)
Kneel at the Cross (Otis)
Make the World Go Away (Bubba)

This was the first time I had sung both "Nanner" and "Weeping Willow" and they both went over very well.  I'll probably be doing them in my regular rotation from now on.

I plan on trying to work more songs by the Carter Family into the stuff I do.  I also hope to write a very simple three-chord country song to do there that doesn't have anything unexpected in it so everyone can learn it easily.  I have written a number of songs but I don't consider any of them suitable for this situation.

Next week I will have to work, but if I can finish early enough I think I will try to stop by and join in, because there is only going to be a skeleton crew next week and they will need all the help they can get.

Today was a good day!


No comments:

Post a Comment