Friday, February 24, 2017

Set list 2/18/2017

I am behind the time on this one!  I just forgot about it.  I won't be doing the gig tomorrow because I have to work, but here is the set from last Saturday.  One of the usual guys wasn't there, and he usually does the same opening and closing songs, so this set was a little different than usual.

This time we had 3 guitars, 1 ukulele, 1 fiddle, 1 sometimes fiddle and sometimes various percussion, and 1 harmonica.  Three of us sang.  One of the fiddle players did an instrumental when it was his turn.  This one went for about 2 hours, 20 minutes.  So here's the list.  Asterisks mean I was the one who picked the song and sang the lead on it.

Five Foot Two*
Four in the Morning
Welcome to My World (instrumental, guitar lead)
Pick Me Up On Your Way Down
Lover's Waltz (instrumental, fiddle lead)
I'll Fly Away
A Fallen Star*
Blue, Blue Day
Double Eagle (instrumental, guitar lead)
Truck Drivin' Man
Ashoken Farewell (instrumental, fiddle lead)
I've Got a Tiger By the Tail
Singin' the Blues*
Across the Alley From the Alamo
Spanish Eyes (instrumental, guitar lead)
Long Black Veil
Saint Ann's Reel (instrumental, fiddle lead)
Dream a Little Dream of Me
Room Full of Roses*
Send Me the Pillow That You Dream On
Down Yonder (instrumental, guitar lead)
Jambalaya
(something) Waltz (instrumental, fiddle lead)  I had never heard this one before and can't make out the title on my recording.
Your Cheatin' Heart
I Saw the Light*
Ramshackle Shack
(title unknown) (instrumental, guitar lead)  Missed the title on this one, too.
I'll See You in the Morning
Mansion on the Hill (instrumental, fiddle lead)
Power in the Blood
Miles and Miles of Texas*
The Old Rugged Cross

Another thing was different this time was that the guy who played the fiddle instrumentals had actual sheet music to play from, and since I was unfamiliar with some of the songs he played, I stood behind him and read along on his music so I would be able to hit the changes in the right places.  I haven't done that kind of thing in a while, so it was fun to exercise those muscles again.

And still another thing that was different was that I took my son along so he could video us with my digital camera.  Last week for Seasons of the Ukulele, we were doing songs that we played with friends, so I used several of the songs that I sang lead on for my entries.  I will include them all below.

Once again, I would like to recommend that you play with others.  It will greatly help improve your musicianship and is a lot of fun.








And finally, here is our lead guitar, Carrol Sammons, playing his trademark piece, "Double Eagle."



1 comment:

  1. Great blog Alan. lots of Useful and interesting info on ukulele here and some mighty fine songs.

    ReplyDelete